Practice Session Template
- Warm-up - pay particular attention to knees and calf muscles.
- Easy manipulations - Tick tock steps, basics etc.
- Known steps - nothing is ever too simple, keep revisiting old favourites.
- Learn something new
- Combine this with the easiest thing you know (e.g. walking or clapping)
- Experiment - make up 8 bars for dance
- Time-step - thinking step
- Cover the whole floor area with dancing
- Unplanned - free pattern
- Planned pattern
Routine - a series of steps in complicated order over (say) 8 bars with a good ending. Repeat on the other foot.
Remember to work off both feet, keep the rhythm steady and consolidate what you can do. Fluency and musicality is more important than knowing hundreds of step, however knowing hundreds of steps and being able to use them with flair, accuracy and spot on timing would be nice.
Dance - Freestyle - do your own thing - work all the steps learned so far. Keep to the same tune.
Relax - take time to relax and wind down after practice.