We're laying in Surrey Dock one day,
When the mate told us to get under way.
Stormy weather boys, stormy weather boys,
When the wind blows, our barge will go.
2. He's homeward bound but he's out of luck,
'Cause the skipper's half drunk in the Dog and Duck.
3. Then the skipper came aboard with a girl on his arm,
He's going to give up barging and take a farm.
4. So the mate ran forward and the cook fell in the dock,
And the skipper caught his knackers in the mainsheet block.
5. We shored her off and away did go,
But the skipper's got a bottle of beer below.
6. She fills away and she sails like heck
But there ain't no bargemen up on deck.
7. Then up comes a mermaid, covered in mud,
So we took her down in the fo'csle and had a good time.