|Visit Us On FB
Except where noted, the exercises in this book will be in open G tuning. In open G tuning:
• The fifth string is tuned to G .
• The fourth string is tuned to D.
• The third string is tuned to G.
• The second string is tuned to B.
• The first string is tuned to D.
The short string is the fifth string. When you are holding your banjo the fifth string will be on top and the first sting will be closest to the floor.
To tune the banjo without a tuner just follow these steps:
1. Assume that your first string is in tune.
2. Play your second string at the third fret. Tune it up or down so that it matches the sound of the first string played open.
3. Play your third string at the fourth fret. Tune it up or down so that it matches the sound of the second string played open.
4. Play your fourth string at the fifth fret. Tune it up or down so that it matches the sound of the third string played open.
5. The fifth string played open should sound the same as the first string played at the fifth fret.