|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
RHYTHMIC EXECISES AND SONGS. 83
23. What differences are chiefly noticeable between most of the Minuets of Bach and Handel and those Of Mozart and Haydn ?
24. Give any historical or personal details concerning Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart and Joseph Haydn.
25. Connect the period in which they lived with any notable events in English history.
26. Write four bars of tune of your own, illustrating the usual style of the Minuet in the music of Mozart. As before, prefix the time-signature and indicate the approximate speed.
27. What difference in form is usually noticeable in the Minuets of Mozart and Haydn as comparod with those of Bach and Handel ? Shew this by quoting an example from each of the two periods.
28. What effect does the composer desire to produce on the mind of the listener at the conclusion of the second part of a short piece in Ternary Form ?
29. What is meant by an Imitation ? In what respect does it differ from a Sequence ?
30. What is the usual length of an ordinary musical phrase ? Quote one or two examples.
31. Who was Edvard Grieg ? State anything you know or can find out about his doings in the art of music.
32. What is it that gives the little "Humoreske" by Grieg (Op. 6, No. 3) its special character, resembling that of a song or graceful dance-tune ?
33. Do you find this special feature as a rule in the music of the older masters like Bach and Handel ? Why not ?
34. Who wrote the " Lieder ohne Worte," or " Songs without words " ? State anything you know about his life and doings.
35. What does the expression " Songs without words " mean ?
36. Who was Bobert Schumann ? When did he live ? With what other distinguished composers was he contemporary ?
37. Give any historical or personal details concerning Ludwig van Beethoven.
38. What notable European event happened during his lifetime? Name any great historical figure who impressed his personality upon this period of European history.
39. What do you understand by a Scherzo ?
40. What relation has it to the Minuet of earlier times ?