|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
RHYTHMIC EXERCISES AND SONGS. 81
QUESTIONS UPON FORM, CHARACTER, STYLE, Em
1. Give any historical or personal details concerning Johann Sebastian Bach.
2. Name another great composer contemporary with Bach.
3. Instance any notable events in English history that took place during the lifetime of these great masters.
4. Name two of Bach's most important works.
5. For what keyboard instruments did Bach write ? Which was the one he usually preferred, and why ?
6. What do we mean when we speak of the " form " of a musical work ?
7. What do you mean by the expressions Binary Form and Ternary Form ?
8. Quote an instance of each of these forms from any collection of National Tunes or Folk-songs.
9. What feature in the little " March in D " * of Bach (forming the first Appreciation lesson) do you think gives it much of its spirited character ?
10. Instance any other points of interest in the piece.
11. What do you notice about the termination of each of the two main parts of the piece ?
12. Most of the smaller instrumental pieces in the works of Bach and Handel (such as the various dances found in their Suites) are in Binary (or Two-part) Form; in what key does the first part usually end if the key of the whole piece is major ? Find this out, if possible, by looking at any movements of tho kind you may possess or may be able to procure.
13. What kind of a dance was the old Minuet ? Was it a Court dance, or a Country dance danced by the people of the countryside ?
14. Write four bars of tune of your own, showing something of the character of the Minuet in the olden time. Be careful to prefix
• The piece will be found in " First Lessons in Bach " (Book T), edited by Walter Carroll (Forsyth Brothers).