|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
210 Indiana University Publications, Folklore Series
6. "Here's five hundred guineas;
I'll give them unto thee If you will press young Jackie Across the raging sea."
7. Now Jack the Sailor has gone on board,
With sore and troubled mind At leaving of his country
And his darling girl behind.
8. This maid was left at liberty,
With money at her command, And she had no other notion
Than to see some foreign land.
9. She applied unto a tailor
For a suit of man's array ; She applied unto a captain To carry her away.
10. "Before you come on board,
Your name I'd like to know"; She smiled in his countenance,
Saying, "Call me Jack Monroe/'
11. "Your waist it is too slender;
Your fingers are too small; Your cheeks too red and rosy To face the cannon ball"
12. "I know my waist is slender ;
I know my fingers are small." Said she, "I will not tremble To face the cannon ball."