|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
Brewster: Ballads and Songs of Indiana 129
4. "I won't come in, I can't come in
Without my playmates all. I won't come in, I can't come in; 'T would cause my blood to fall."
5. She pulled him off a green apple
And offered it to him; She pulled him off a blood-^ed cherry, And that enticed him in.
6. She took him by her1 lily-white hand
And led him to the kitchen, And there he saw his mother's maid A-cleaning of a chicken.
7. "0 save me now, 0 save me now;
0 save me now or never; And if I live to be a man, I'll pay you altogether!"
8. She took him to her own chamber,
Most beauteous to behold; She set him in her own armchair, And that was striped with gold.
9. She wrapped him in her apron
And pinned it with a pin ; She put him on her own bedside And stuck him like a pig.
10. "0 lay my Bible at my head,
My prayer book at my feet ; And if my playmates ask for me, Tell them I've gone to sleep.
11. "0 lay my Bible at my head,
My prayer book on my breast; And if my playmates ask for me, Tell them I've gone to rest."
1 Probably for the.