|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
Brewster: Ballads and Songs of Indiana
2. "The brown girl she has house and lands ;
Fair Eleanor she has none; Before I'd marry Fair Eleanor
Fd bring the brown girl home."
3. "Go saddle my horse, go bridle him quick,
And bring him unto me
That I may ask her..................
To my blest wedding day/'
4. He rode and he rode till he came to the gate;
He rattled low on the rein;1*
And none was so ready as Fair Eleanor
To rise and welcome him in.
5. "What news, what news?" said she to him;
"Sad news, sad news," said he.
"I come to ask you___................
To my blest wedding day."
6. "Unriddle it, Father; unriddle it, Mother;
Unriddle it unto me, Whether I should go to Lord Thomas's wedding Or shall I stay at home?"
7. "At home, at home you know you have friends,
And there you know you have none; Before I would go to Lord Thomas's wedding I'd rather stay at home."
8. She dressed herself in the finest of silk ;
Her waist was amazing green ;15 And every city that she rode through She was taken to be some queen.
9. She rode and she rode till she came to the gate;
She rattled low on the rein.
None was so ready as Lord Thomas
To rise and welcome her in.
u He rattled loud at the ring.
15 For arrayed her maids in green ?