|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
1. From whence these direful omens round.
Which heaven and earth amaze!
Wherefore do earthquakes cleave the ground?
Why hides the sun his rays?
2. Well may the earth astonished shake,
And nature sympathize!
The sun as darkest night be black!
Their Maker, Jesus, dies!
3. Behold, fast streaming from the tree,
His all-atoning blood!
Is this the Infinite? 'tis he,
My Saviour and my God!
4. For me these pangs his soul assail,
For me this death is borne ;
My sins gave sharpness to the nail,
And pointed every thorn.
5. Let sin no more my soul enslave,
Break, Lord, its tyrant chain;
O save me, whom thou cam'st to save,
Nor bleed, nor die in vain!