|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
THE HEMENWAY SOUTHWESTERN EXPEDITION
In closing the final volume of the Journal of American Ethnology and Archaeology we desire to add the following account of the active support given by Mrs. Hemenway for many years to the study of American history and archaeology.
In 1879 Mrs. Hemenway's gift toward the purchase of the Old South Church in Boston made possible the permanent preservation of the building as a historic monument, and the work of instruction in American history since carried on there owes its foundation and maintenance to her. In 1882 the visit to Boston of several Zuni Indians under the guidance of the late Frank Hamilton dishing of the Bureau of Ethnology, since 1879 identified with the study of this people, impressed Mrs. Hemenway with the need of securing accurate information about the tribes of the Southwestern United States before it should be too late. At Mrs. Hemenway's invitation Mr. Cushing visited the East again in the summer of 1886 with three Zuni chiefs, and in the autumn was commissioned by Mrs. Hemenway to continue the studies of the Pueblo Indians which he had already carried farther than any predecessor. The title of the Hemenway Southwestern Archaeological Expedition was the suggestion of Mr. Cushing, who became director of the work, with Mr. Frederick W. Hodge, now of the Bureau of Ethnology, Dr. J. L. Wortman, of the Army Medical Museum, and the well-known archaeologists, Dr. Herman F. C. ten Kate and Dr. Adolf F. Bandelier, as assistants. In February, 1887, investigations were begun on the Rio Salado near Phcenix, Arizona, and early in 1888 were taken up at Zuni. The greater part of the pottery and other finds at both places are now included in the collection preserved in the Hemenway Room at the Peabody Museum of Harvard University. In 1888 the Expedition was represented at the Seventh Congress of Americanists in Berlin by two of its advisers, Professor E. S. Morse of Salem and Mr. Sylvester