|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
48 HOPI SONGS
to be by default for the larger number, and by excess for the smaller, that it will lead to any material underestimate (by one revolution) of the interval by which the phonograph has varied. In general, we may assume the true interval of the change will little if at all exceed the ratio found by this method.
July 28. In studying Snake Song No. 4 this morning I obtained a speed of delivery about the same as that of Song 3 by raising the regulator screw until the phonograph made 168 revolutions. I note, " When nearly through I went back and found the initial note of the song still as written. On coming back to work in the afternoon I found the rate very close to 169. This sharp-
f ing through about the interval I noted still left the
initial note of the piece as written, nearer c than c#."
July 29, 5.10 p. m. The screw having remained unchanged since the day before, the instrument made 168 revolutions. I thereupon wrote down Snake Song No. 6.
July 30, 11 a. M. The screw having remained untouched, the instrument began at 167 revolutions. To prove my work on Song No. 6 I then adjusted the screw so that the instrument made 168 revolutions, and found only one pianissimo pitch toward the end and two rests that needed a slightly changed notation. I then wrote down Song No. 8 at 167 revolutions.
July 31, 11 A. M. On taking up this song again this morning to prove my work of yesterday, I found the instrument running at 167. At 11.53 the rate was 166 4-. Another count immediately afterward made it 167. At 12.42, still 167. In the afternoon I wrote down Malo-katcina by Kano at this rate.
August 2, 3.45 p. M. The screw having remained untouched, I found the rate 167 + ; in a second count, 167. At this rate I noted Malo-katcina by Masi-umtiwa.
August 3, 12.15 p. m. After cleaning the instrument without moving the screw, the rate was 1674-. A second count gave 167+ again; and at this rate I began to note the Song Coyohim-katcina. At the end of an hour the rate was 168. On returning to work at 4 p. M. the rate was 169, and the change had, I found, perceptibly altered the pitch of the song, the opening note of which I should have now written g+ instead of g. In continuing the work I reduced the rate to 167 by an adjustment of the screw. At the end of two hours (5.55 P. M.) I found it again 169, and again reduced it.
August 4, 11.45 A. M. The instrument began at 166, but conceiving that its variation of the day before, though slight, might indicate that Battery 5 was becoming exhausted, I sent for another.