|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
Pretty Fair Miss
"True Love." Obtained from Miss Susie A. Blaylock, Rabun Gap, Georgia, for whom it was recorded from a singer in the mountains of Georgia.
i. There was a lady all in the garden And a soldier he came passing by. He says, "Kind lady, will you marry ?" He says, "Kind miss, will you marry me?"
2. "I take you to be a man of honor; A man of honor you may be
To force yourself on a poor lady, On a pooi lady, 1 may be."
3. "I have a true love on the ocean;
His face haven't seen in seven long years, And if he stays there seven years longer, Nary man on earth can marry me."
4. "And what if your true love he be drownded? Or if he's in some battle slain ?
Or if he's some pretty girl and married ? Your true love's face you will see no more."
5. "If he's drownded, I hope he's happy; Or if he's in some battle slain,
Or if he's taken some pretty girl and married, I love the girl that married him."
6. He picked her up in his arms
And he gave her kisses, one, two, three. Said, "Here's the ring that you put on mel" Right down before him she did fall.
7. He picked her up all in his arms
And he gave her kisses, one, two, three. Said, "If I'd stayed there seven years longer, Nary a girl on earth could have married me!"