|Share page||Visit Us On FB|
Little Musgrave and Lady Barnard
5. It was one of Lord Daniel's very best friends Was listening what was done;
He swore Lord Daniel should know this Before the rising sun, sun, sun; Before the rising sun.
6. He had sixteen miles or more to go, And half of them he ran;
He run till he came to the broke-down bridge; He held his breath and he swum, swum, swum; He held his breath and swum.
7. Swum till he came to the grassy side; He took his heels and he run
Till he came to the Keel gas gate;1
He rattled them bells and rung, rung, rung;
He rattled them bells and rung.
8. "What news, what news ?" Lord Daniel said, "What news have you brought for me ?" "Little Mathie Grave from Fair Scotland
Is in bed with your lay-de, lay-de, lay-de; And their hearts the same as one."
9. "If this be a lie you're tellin' to me, Which I do believe it to be,
A gallows I will build for you, And hanged you shall be, be, be; And hanged you shall be."
10. "If this be a lie I'm tellin' to you, Which you do believe it to be,
You need not build a gallows for me; Just a-hang me on a tree, tree, tree; Just hang me on a tree."
11. He counted out his very best men; It's one, two by three;
Sang, "Come along and go with me, This happy couple for to see, see, see; This happy couple for to see."
1 Mrs. Eckstorm interprets this as "King's castle gate" or just "castle gate" with the syllables out of place. .